Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine

Last year I was invited to be part of the launch team for Crystal Paine's new book Say Goodbye to Survival Mode: 9 Simple Steps to Stress Less, Sleep More, and Restore Your Passion For Life. As a part of the launch team I received an early copy of the book in electronic form, participated in a Facebook discussion group, and was given access other materials to help promote this book. All thoughts and opinions shared in this post are my own and I am so excited to share this book with you!


The invitation to participate in the Say Goodbye to Survival Mode launch team could not have come at a better time for me. I have been unsettled lately. My heart and spirit want to do more meaningful things while at the same time I feel overwhelmed with the things that I am not getting done these days. I haven't been accepting review requests for the blog because I was so far behind in my commitments that it wasn't fair to accept another book and have it sitting on the shelf for months. Even with all that something pulled me to apply for the launch team when I saw it on the Money Saving Mom website. I am so incredibly thankful that I did!


In Say Goodbye to Survival Mode Crystal Paine doesn't simply give women strategies for using time more wisely, setting goals and reaching them, clearing clutter, and improving finances. Sure all of that is in this book but Crystal shares her story and that is why her tips reached me more than any other personal management book that I have ever read. This is not a clinical assessment with statistics regarding productivity or stock options but instead honest, heartfelt advice from a woman who has lived through survival mode and dug her way out of it.

Although our experiences are different, I was able to relate to Crystal on a very personal level. I could feel the emotion in her stories because I have lived with those emotions also. Crystal opens her past wide open and lets the reader see her as her imperfect self. She also acknowledges often that these are the strategies that have worked for her and that not every strategy fits every person because we are all at different points in our lives. There are no "one size fits all" strategies but instead ones that can be adapted to work in your life.  

Crystal's book truly helped me see things in a different light. Now I approach activities with a different mindset, asking myself if this is a good use of my time and energy before I commit. I ask myself if something will move me closer to my goals and if it doesn't then I may choose to pass on that activity or purchase. It feels a lot different to not get the dishes done because I made the conscious choice to play a game with my girls rather than not getting them done because I spent an hour flitting around on social media sites. This year I am investing in myself and my family more than ever. My activities and financial goals need to reflect that commitment.


The idea of change can be overwhelming. One reason I have never allowed myself to have big goals is because the idea of trying and failing was terrifying. I was only seeing the huge picture rather than the little steps I could take along the way. Even something as simple as keeping up with the house felt like too much for a while. Say Goodbye to Survival Mode helped me see that I can put little pieces into place each day or each week and those little changes will add up to larger changes over time. Goals and changes don't have to be overwhelming if I take them one step at a time.

I feel that I am failing to convey how large of an impact this book is having on my thinking and my approach to life these days. The downfall of having an early copy was that I have been telling everyone I know about this book and I wanted them to be able to read it RIGHT NOW. I even pre-ordered a copy for my friend and we are going to work through the chapters together when her copy arrives (should be here tomorrow!). I can't wait to read the book a second time and have another great discussion as we work on putting ideas into practice together.

Buy Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine
 on Amazon or at your local bookstore.

I highly recommend picking up a copy if you are ready to make some changes and get your life running more smoothly. Also be sure to check out the 7-Day Challenge and Book Launch Celebration activities at GoodbyeSurvivalModeBook.com.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please share your thoughts with me :-)