Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Fairy Tale by Cyn Balog


Title: Fairy Tale
Author: Cyn Balog
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: June 23, 2009
Format: Hardcover, 256 pages
Age Group: Young Adult

Morgan Sparks and Cameron Browne are more than just neighbors. They were born on the same day and have been inseparable (and totally in love) ever since. So when Cam starts being moody and mysterious a week before their sixteenth birthday bash, Morgan is worried. Things get even stranger when Pip shows up at the Browne's home claiming that Cam is a fairy changeling and he is their true son. As Pip reveals more about the fairy Otherworld and Morgan's visions fail to show Cam's future, Cam and Morgan must face the reality that they may be torn apart.

Fairy Tale sounded like a great book based on the description and it definitely fits in with the types of books I usually enjoy reading. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed in this book. Fairy Tale isn't a bad book by any means but I think I was expecting a bit more from it. Morgan is upset about everything that is happening throughout the entire book and, although she keeps saying that she is going to find a way to keep Cam with her, she doesn't really try to put much into action. She is incredibly self-centered as well, wondering how she will survive without Cam. Morgan doesn't seem to stop to think about what Cam is going through even though she can see how miserable he is. Morgan does at least try to help Pip fit in a bit better. I never really connected with Morgan as the main character. I didn't really like her enough to care about what she was going through.

The attempt to fight Cam's destiny seems half-hearted by everyone involved, like they never truly believe that they have a chance to change things. All I will say about the relationships is that teenage love sure is fickle even when the people involved claim true love for years.

I think it is very likely that teen readers will enjoy this book more than I did. Although I have read a lot of young adult fiction that I truly enjoy, I realize that I am not the intended audience for this story. For me, Fairy Tale was a quick read which entertained but didn't really leave me wanting more or thinking about the characters or story after I finished the book.

This review is based on an Advance Reader's Copy with the original title of Fairy Lust which I received in a prize package from author Brooke Taylor. Look for a review of Brooke's novel, Undone, coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please share your thoughts with me :-)