Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Who Am I? An #ArmchairBEA Introduction + Favorite Classics

I attempted last Armchair BEA for the first time last year and it was a spectacular fail on my part. I only managed to do three of the posts for the week and didn't have time to visit as many blogs as I would have liked. I wasn't going to participate this year but some bloggy friends (I'm looking at you Cabin Goddess and Girl Who Reads) inspired me to give it another go. This year I'm heading in with much more reasonable expectations of what I can contribute so I'm hoping that will increase the enjoyment of the experience this year.

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

Hello! *Waves* I'm Angela, the Library Girl here at Library Girl Reads & Reviews. I'm a former librarian turned book blogger and stay-at-home mom. I've been blogging since before my oldest was born so almost 5 years at this point. I started blogging on a whim when I was home alone during the day, pregnant and bored. I was getting a lot of reading done but didn't have anyone to talk to and then I discovered book blogs. I can't believe I've kept this little blog going this long! I have times when life means that I read and blog less but I manage to keep coming back to it.

Where in the world are you blogging from?

I'm joining Armchair BEA from Indianapolis, Indiana. Indianapolis is a big sports town with the Colts, the Pacers, and the Indianapolis Indians. We recently hosted the Superbowl and every Memorial weekend fans head in to Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indianapolis 500. This is all well and good for you sports fans out there but I prefer taking my girls to the world's largest children's museum, the Children's Museum of Indianapolis, and the Indianapolis Zoo in White River State Park. I have also discovered a hugely supportive network of women bloggers in Indiana!

What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?

I just stared reading Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks for the second time. It is the first book in The Dark Legacy of Shannara trilogy. The final book, Witch Wraith, actually just got delivered today so I'm going to read the series straight through. (The middle book is Bloodfire Quest.) I'm always reading any number of books to Elizabeth and Victoria. Sometimes it is the same story over and over and over and other times it is a new book every night.

Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.

Well, if you have been reading my blog regularly for the last few months you will already know this but for those of you who are new: This year I have gotten involved with a non-profit organization that helps in distressed areas of Appalachia. The Monkey Do Project has a lot of initiatives which help provide food and other necessities to those living in rural poverty. Right now they really need donations to provide backpacks with books, healthy snacks, and school supplies to kids in Adams County, Ohio when they attend a health fair. For some of these kids this check up may be the only standard medical care they receive this year! Find out more at Pave the Path with Monkeys.

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

I'm going to twist this question a little bit and tell you a couple of literary places that I have visited. I've walked Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond and visited Orchard House, home of Louisa May Alcott.

Design Credit: Emily of Emily's Reading Room
Classics

Sometimes I wish that I had more time to read the classics. There are some that people would expect that I've read but somehow I missed out on them at school and never got around to reading them on my own. These days it is rare that I feel alert enough to concentrate on a classic especially if it means adapting to the language and structure of times gone by.

Here are a few favorites:

  • Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
  • Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
  • Four Quartets by T. S. Eliot
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
  • Animal Farm by George Orwell
Note: All opinions presented in book and product reviews are my own. Opinions presented in posts authored by others reflect the view of the author only and not necessarily my view or opinion.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please share your thoughts with me :-)